Germany has long been one of the most preferred study abroad destinations for international students. Studying in Germany can prove to be one of the most prestigious pursuits in one’s academic journey. The universities in Germany are a regular feature of QS University rankings for the top universities in the world. In fact, 45+ universities in Germany are ranked on QS among the top 1000 universities of the world. If you are someone who is looking forward to study in Germany, here is all you need to know:
Studying in Germany for International Students
For years, Germany has been one of the top five destinations for students willing to study abroad by the number of students. Here are the reasons:
• A large contribution to that fact is the quality of education that Germany provides. It has some of the world’s most prestigious universities.
• The English taught courses also help in bringing in more and more international students to its shores.
• Another factor to seriously consider is the cost of studying. The costs of studying in Germany are some of the most affordable in Europe and very affordable when compared to English-speaking countries around the world.
• The pleasant weather, outdoor activities, and multicultural environment make students balance their studies with their leisure.
• The importance of extensive research orientation and practical exposure enlighten your career. You will have highly qualified professors and research persons.
Top Universities in Germany
Among the renowned universities and technical schools, a few of Germany's best universities are as follows
• Technical University of Munich
• Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg
• Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
• Freie Universität Berlin
• Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
• KIT, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
• Technische Universität Berlin (TU Berlin)
• RWTH Aachen University
• Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
• Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen
Study in Germany in English
Yes, one does not have to learn, understand or be fluent in the German Language. To attract more and more international students, and keep education universal, a large number of universities in Germany offer English-taught courses. Therefore, making it easier for students coming to the country. Though one can go through day-to-day life pretty easily with just English, it is advisable to learn basic German as one might also want to work and study in Germany simultaneously.
Study in Germany Requirements
Now we know that education in Germany is prestigious, affordable, and convenient. Let us talk about the general requirements you will have to fulfill in order to study in Germany.
• The first and foremost requirement is to apply for a university and course you are eligible for.
• In some cases, they will also have to prove their language proficiency as an eligibility criterion.
• Students are also required to show enough funds to sustain themselves in Germany during their stay in Germany.
• There are always course-specific requirements like SOP and LORs, and other requirements.
It is advisable to check the course requirements beforehand. You can contact us for the exact requirements for a specific course in your chosen university.
English Language Requirements
• TOEFL- Test of English as Foreign Language
• IELTS - International English Language Testing System
German Language Proficiency:
If the University asks for German Language Proficiency, here are the test proves you can submit to Universities:
• Test of German as a Foreign Language (TestDaF)
• Goethe Institut German Language Diploma (GDS)
• German Language Diploma of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs, Level II (DSD)
Study in Germany Scholarships
To help students with the study and living costs in Germany, there are several scholarships available for international students. For students looking forward to studying in Germany, DAAD Scholarships are the way to go. DAAD is the German Academic Exchange Service that helps students coming to study in Germany, and one of those ways is scholarships for international students. Apart from DAAD scholarships, there are also scholarships available from the Government and Universities.
Study in Germany after 12th
For the students who are willing to start early, there are several options available after their schooling in Germany. Students just coming from any 10+2 equivalent are also eligible for a plethora of options available in Germany. No matter the academic background one is coming from, be it science, commerce, or Arts, there is plenty for everyone. Germany also offers a large number of Bachelor’s courses in English which used to be an issue before.
Top student cities in Germany
The capital of Germany is Berlin. It is also the largest metropolitan city in the country. Other cities that are popularly known across the world are
Study in Germany for Indian Students
Indians make a large number of international students studying in Germany. It hosts more than 15,000 Indian Students, making it one of the top 10 countries Indians prefer to study abroad. Indian students make up 13% of international students in Germany. 70% of those students are in Engineering, 12% in Science and Mathematics, 13% in Social Science and Law, 5% are in the other streams.