A large international student population migrate to Canada every year. The country offers educational excellence through its colleges and universities. Its work opportunities after studies are also splendid. If you are the one planning to study in Canada, here is the complete information for you.
Why study in Canada for international students
If you are on this page, looking forward to studying in Canada, you are already aware of the benefits. Adding to those, here are the reasons to study in Canada
- Canada is filled with university options for international students. There are various big, small, public, private universities. Eight universities are listed in the global top 200.
- Canada is known for being a safe country for international students. With a non-discriminatory society and low crime rates it a beautiful land to stay in
- International Students can get an alive experience with a diverse lifestyle in this most advanced country.
- Canada is a land full of opportunities and possibilities. You will have various excellent opportunities and gain valuable international experience by joining different student clubs and organizations.
- The education provided by Canada is recognized and valued all over the world. If you pursue your study degree in Canada, it is sure that you will enjoy productive and successful careers in any part of the world.
Top universities in Canada
There are 26 Canadian universities listed in the QS world university ranking 2021 as the best universities in the world. The top 5 universities are:
- University Of Toronto
- McGill University
- University of British Columbia
- University of Montreal
- University of Alberta
These universities are very competitive and you might face some difficulty to get admission. you also have options other than these universities which provide high-quality education. They are:
- University of Regina
- University of Saskatchewan
- Acadia University
- College Saint Michael
- Focus College
- Flair College
- Evergreen College
- Royal Road University
- Stenberg College
- Coast Mountain College
- Toronto Business College
Study in Canada university requirements
Whether you apply for an undergraduate, Post Graduate, or Diploma program, you will require to submit some supporting documents with your application form. The requirements depend on the institution and the course you choose. Some of the basic requirements to study in Canada are:
- Filled-in application form
- Your mark sheets of all your previous education.
- Depending on the course and university, you will require specific scores in the English language proficiency test. Generally, IELTS or TOEFL tests scores are used for it.
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- A detailed resume including all your academic achievements, work experience and other related experience.
- Statement of Purpose stating your reasons for the admission in that specific course and institution, and how it will help you with your career goals.
Study in Canada courses
Universities in Canada offer a broad spectrum of courses in each study field for international students. There are several courses in all the 3 stages of higher education, Bachelor's, Masters and Doctorate levels. Some of the popular courses to study in Canada for Indian students
and other international students are:
- Study Medicine in Canada
- Study History in Canada
- Study Nursing in Canada
- Study Journalism in Canada
- Study Accounting in Canada
- Study Law in Canada
- Study Human Resource Management in Canada
- Study Psychology in Canada
- Study Accounting in Canada
- Study Finance in Canada
- Study Computer science in Canada
Study in Canada Without IELTS
Most of the Universities in Canada asks international students to present the English Language Proficiency in the form of IELTS. However, there are some Universities in Canada without IELTS requirements such as the University of Regina, University of Saskatchewan etc.
How to study in Canada without IELTS
In many universities in Canada, if you met any one of the following criteria, you are eligible to apply without IELTS:
- You can submit the score of other tests such as TOEFL, PTE etc.
- Your previous education was in English-medium school for 4 or more than four years.
- You have studied previously in an English-speaking country.
- You have attended the language school of the university for a semester.
If you meet one or more of these criteria, you are probably eligible to study in most of the Canadian universities without IELTS.
Study in Canada after 12th
Yes, you can move to Canada for your further studies after completing your 12th grade in your home country. You will find a broad range of options in the undergraduate programs. You can choose any of the diploma or bachelors degree programs to study provided you meet the requirements.
No matter in which field you want to make your career, you will find courses in each of them in Canadian universities. You can choose from the various options to study after 12th in Canada such as
- Management courses
- Nursing courses
- Designing courses
- Engineering courses
- Accounting courses
- Journalism courses
- Media and communication courses
The list does not end. Explore the different options and start preparing for the application.
How much will cost to study in Canada?
Studying in this popular study abroad destination will surely cost you more than your home country. However, your cost of studying in Canada depends on various factors such as:
- Your chosen institution
- Your field of study
- Your stage of education
- Your university location
- On-campus or off-campus Accommodation
- Your lifestyle etc
Study in Canada tuition fees
On an average tuition fee for the bachelor programmes can be around CAD 11500 to CAD 25, 625 per annum for overseas students in Canada. Engineering and medical courses would be expensive. It can take an average of CA$28, 340 per annum.
The fees for a masters degree are comparatively lower. You can expect an average of CA$16,252 for the masters level. However, management courses in Canada are more expensive. Especially when you choose executive programmes for MBAs which can be around CA$ 50,000.
Study in Canada living cost
Other than tuition fee, there are rent expenses, groceries expenses, personal expenses etc. The costs for housing, meals and other living expenses will be based on your location and your own needs. Usually, it takes around C$15,000 annually for living expenses.
Study in Canada scholarship
Studying abroad is costlier than studying in a home country. Being an international student you may face difficulty in fund arrangement for studying abroad in Canada. You can take help of scholarships. Here are the types of scholarships to study in Canada
- Canadian Government Scholarships: These Scholarships are granted by the Canadian government to attract international students to study in Canada.
- Non-Government Scholarships: These Scholarships are offered by various external organisations such as trusts, foundations, companies and organizations to the international students pursuing a specific course stream.
- University provided Scholarships: These Scholarships are offered by universities in Canada to encourage students to take admission for higher education in their university.
Here we have listed a few popular scholarships awarded by Canada to the international students
- UBC International Leader for Tomorrow Award
- Ontario Graduate Scholarships
- Quebec Provincial Government Scholarship
- Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship
- University of Regina international entrance scholarships
- Partnership Grants by Social Science and Humanities Research Council in Canada
- Canadian Studies Post-Doctoral Fellowship.
Student life in Canada
Students coming from other countries are warmly welcomed in Canada. The life of the student during their stay in Canada is fully interesting. Canada has a multicultural environment, as students come there to study from different corners of the world. You will gain valuable experience with them.
Canadian institution connects you with friends who will remain in touch throughout your life. You will appreciate the fun and active social life in this beautiful country. You can go out with friends for coffee, pubs or clubs, etc. You will experience great memorable moments even outside the campus. Most of the international students get so comfortable in this country that they decide to make the country their permanent home.
Study and work in Canada
International students studying in Canada are allowed to work. For working legally in Canada, you must adhere to the rules of your study permit. There is a limit in working hours. International students can work only for 20 hours per week provided that they have a valid study permit giving the right to work. You can start doing your job in Canada only when your semester begins.
Post Graduate work permit in Canada
After completion of your bachelors or masters degree, you can stay in Canada and take a job. You will need to obtain a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). It allows you to obtain valuable work experience in the country after you graduate from the Canadian university. This is one of the main reasons international students get attracted to study in Canada.
You get the right to work full time for a maximum period of 3 years after you graduate from a Canadian university. The duration of the work permit is equal to the duration of your study program for up to 3 years. You can work in any field of your choice, it is not necessary to work in a specific field in Canada.