As one of the most favourite destinations for international students, Germany offers excellent academic institutions. Germany also offers various scholarships and grants to help students coming from other countries. Here we have listed a few of the popular scholarships in Germany along with their requirements.
Requirements for scholarships to study abroad in Germany
There are no fixed requirements for applying for scholarships in Germany. Generally, it is offered based on excellent academic results or the financial needs of the applicant. Every individual foundation has its own criteria. Here are some requirements that you may require complete when applying for a scholarship in Germany:
- Scholarship application
- A copy of your passport
- A passport-sized photo of yourself
- Result copies of past exam and graduation diplomas
- A civil liability certificate
- Statement of purpose to convey the reason why they are eligible candidates
- German and/or English proof of language proficiency
- Proof of financial resources
- Curriculum Vitae
- Documents related to employment or internship( if applicable)
Scholarships to study in Germany
1. DAAD scholarships in Germany
DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst) or the German Academic Exchange Service supports German and international students and researchers in Germany. It is a joint organisation of Germany’s higher education institutions. It aims to promote international academic relations. DAAD Scholarship
Programs offer financial assistance to international students and researchers in Germany.
Eligibility criteria for DAAD Scholarships
- Applicants must be admitted to a German university in a full-time course of study.
- Applicant Student should have completed their Bachelor degree not more than in the last 6 years
- Applicants should have at least two years of proven work experience.
Amount of DAAD Scholarships
The DAAD scholarship amount is 850 EUR per month for masters students and 1,200 EUR per month for PhD students.
2. Heinrich Böll Foundation Scholarships in Germany
The Heinrich Böll Foundation awards around 1,200 scholarships per year to ambitious undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral students of all subjects and nationalities.
Eligibility criteria for Heinrich Böll Foundation Scholarships
- Applicants should be pursuing their study degree at a public university in Germany.
- The applicant is expected to have outstanding academic records
- Applicants should be politically and socially engaged while showing an interest in values like ecology, sustainability, democracy, human rights, self-determination as well as justice.
Amount of Heinrich Böll Foundation Scholarships
- Non-EU postgraduate students will receive 850 EUR per month along with individual allowances.
- EU postgraduate students will receive 649 EUR and 300 EUR per month for Book Expenses.
- PhD students coming from countries outside of the EU, on the other hand, will receive 1,200 EUR per month, in addition to a 100 EUR mobility allowance per month and other individual allowances (excluding tuition fees).
- PhD students from the EU region will be awarded 1,350 EUR per month and 100 EUR as research costs allowance (excluding tuition fees). The scholarship is awarded for 2 years with the probability of extending twice by half a year.
3. DeutschlandStipendium National Scholarship Programme
The Deutschlandstipendium offers financial assistance to high-achieving and committed international students in Germany. It helps students financially at all participating German Universities no matter from which country the student belongs or what his/her personal or parent income.
The scholarships for international students in Germany
is normally granted for two semesters but it may also be extended for the standard period of study. After completing 2 semesters, the university will examine whether the student still fulfils the scholarship eligibility criteria, to continue the funding.
Eligibility criteria for DeutschlandStipendium National Scholarship
- Applicant should be studying at Germany’s public or state-recognized university are eligible for the funding
- Applicants should have a Proficiency certificate in English or German language.
- Applicants should have civic engagement and special personal achievements along with the social or family background.
Amount of DeutschlandStipendium National Scholarship
The scholarship is awarded by the public-private collaboration where businesses, foundations, or individuals sponsor. The students receive a sum of 150 EUR per month. The Federal Government also adds another 150 EUR to that amount.
4. Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung Scholarships in Germany for International Students
Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung Scholarships(KAS) programme aims to offer a scholarship to international students and researchers in Germany. PhD students coming from developing countries are on the priority list. This is one of the scholarships for PhD in Germany
Eligibility criteria for Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung Scholarship
- Applicants must have above average academic achievements.
- Applicant must have completed their undergraduate studies in their home country
- Applicant must have a keen interest in politics
Amount of Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung Scholarships
- Students pursuing Postgraduate courses will be awarded 850 EUR per month for 2 years.
- Doctoral candidates will receive a monthly amount of 1,100 EUR for three years.
- Tuition fees can be paid up to 500 EUR per semester. It is only for the courses related to the study or doctoral project).
5. Erasmus Scholarship Programs in Germany
German Universities participate in several study programs which are funded by Erasmus Mundus and Erasmus+ scholarships. The scholarships can finance international students to pursue a participating study program in German. The scholarship will cover the admission fee, travelling expense, and a small part of living costs. These are more popular scholarships for Indian students to study in Germany
6. The Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarship
The Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung scholarship seeks to promote social democracy through academic financial assistance. The scholarship is available for international students studying or pursuing their PhD in Germany at a public university of applied sciences. This is a good option for the students who want to study in the fields of social sciences, politics, or humanities. It is offered only to 40 students per year.
Eligibility criteria for The Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarship
- Applicant must have above-average academic achievements
- Applicants should have exceptional German language skills even if the course they are taking is in English.
- Applicants must be coming from Africa, Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe.
Amount of The Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarship
- Scholarship awards 830 EUR per month to the students enrolled in the undergraduate courses
- Scholarship awards 850 EUR per month to the students enrolled in the Master’s courses as well as health insurance costs.
University provided scholarship in Germany
Even the universities in Germany also doesn't stay back to support international students. Various higher education institutions offer financial assistance to help them cover their living cost while studying in Germany. Majorly you can find scholarships for masters in Germany.
Here is the list of university-provided scholarships in Germany for Indian students
and other international students.
- Frankfurt School of Finance and Management Doctoral Tuition Waivers – Tuition waiver scholarships for PhD students studying an English-language program at Frankfurt. It is available in the subjects of finance, accounting, mathematics and business administration. This is the most preferred PhD scholarships in Germany.
- FRIAS Cofund Fellowship Programme for International Researchers – It is a scholarship for international students to study at the University of Freiburg. It is open at a research-level program.
- Hamburg University of Applied Sciences Masters Scholarships – It is Scholarships for international students enrolled in a master’s program at Hamburg University. It is available for all the subjects excluding design, public health and public management. This is one of the popular scholarships in Germany for masters.
- Heidelberg University – Various scholarships are available for international students coming from developing countries to study medicine or dentistry at Heidelberg University.
- HHL International MSc Scholarship for Effective and Responsible Leadership – This Scholarship is available for international students to study management at masters and PhD levels at HHL Leipzig Graduate School of Management.
- Humboldt University International Research Fellowships – Humboldt University offers research fellowship opportunities to international students pursuing research. This is available in the fields of history, anthropology, law, sociology, political science, geography, economics or area studies.
- KAAD Scholarships for Developing Countries – The Catholic Academic Exchange Service (KAAD) offers scholarships for international students coming from developing countries such as Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America. The student must be studying at the masters or PhD level. Applicants must possess German-language skills and be of Catholic-Christian denomination.
- Kofi Annan MBA Scholarships for Developing Country Students – Scholarships are offered to a maximum of 5 international students from developing countries to study at the European School of Management and Technology (ESMT) in Berlin. It is for the student who wants to study for a full-time, one-year MBA.
- Max Planck Institute for Chemical Physics of Solids – The Fellowship Program of the Max Planck Institute for Solid State Research supports junior scientists. It is available in the fields of physics, chemistry and material science.
- Ulm University Scholarships for International Students – Ulm University offers need-based scholarships to international students. Financial assistance is offered for only one semester.
- Universität Hamburg Merit Scholarships – The University of Hamburg offers Scholarships to outstanding international students. To obtain the scholarship student must be enrolled in their program for at least two semesters at any degree level. These scholarships also consider the financial needs of the applicant.
- RWTH Aachen University scholarships – There are plenty of funding opportunities for international students at RWTH Aachen University.
We hope this information on Scholarships in Germany is helpful to you. If you find difficulty in the arrangement of funds for studying in Germany
, you can apply for the scholarships. If you are successful in obtaining the scholarships your higher studies will become much more affordable.