New Zealand is an attractive study destination for many, with top universities, high-quality student life and amazing scenery, and a strong higher education system. Studying in New Zealand can be on the expensive side, but do not worry. There are several, grants bursaries and scholarships available in New Zealand which can help international students financially.
Scholarships in New Zealand
The government, universities and some other private organizations in New Zealand provide financial support to international students. To help you, we have prepared a list of top New Zealand International Scholarships. Before presenting you the list, let us discuss the eligibility criteria and application process to gain a scholarship to study in New Zealand.
Eligibility criteria for applying to scholarships to study in New Zealand for international students
The main eligibility factor for gaining scholarships is a good academic score. Some other factors such as your chosen destination, subject and level also matter. In some scholarships, factors such as volunteering and extracurricular activities can also help to gain it.
Note that every scholarship program has its own eligibility criteria. While in some, only an application would be enough, while you may have to fulfil several other conditions for others. For example, in research-based programs, you may be asked to submit written assignments. Visit the website and check it, you may also contact the organisation through the mail for detailed information.
Requirements to Apply for Scholarships in New Zealand
Generally, the international applicants in most of the scholarship programs in New Zealand opt for the online application process. The students need to apply to universities to study in New Zealand before applying for the scholarship programs. The requirements for the scholarship application process are:
Besides, some scholarship organizations require some additional documents for the application process like sports certificates and other certificates in extracurricular activities.
- Scanned copies of the mark sheets or transcripts of previous education.
- Scanned copy of the letter(s) of recommendation are required from authorized personnel
- Copy of passport
- Copy of English proficiency exam scores
- A scanned copy of the CV of the applicant is required
- Photos of the applicant
- A copy of the self-written essay is required
How to get a scholarship for New Zealand.
Gaining a scholarship requires good planning. You can increase your chances of gaining scholarships by following the simple tips mentioned below:
Now it’s time to check out the scholarships in New Zealand for international students. We have divided the scholarships provided by GOvernment, universities and other organisations to help you reach better.
- You should start the process as early as possible and begin with researching scholarships opportunities in your home country.
- Check whether you are eligible. Do not apply for the scholarship if you do not fulfil all the criteria. For more information regarding this, you can contact the organisation that manages the scholarship.
- You should apply for several scholarships simultaneously. You have to fill the scholarship application form with accurate details and submit it. You can also apply online for some specific scholarships.
- Submit all the information with the documents and certified copies
- Proofread your application. A single mistake in the application may lead to the rejection of the application. So carefully check the information before submitting it.
- Wait for the results. If you are successful in obtaining the results then cheers, if not better luck next time.
Government-funded New Zealand scholarships:
- Fulbright New Zealand US Graduate Awards – It is the famous Scholarships for students coming from the US to study a postgraduate(PG) or research program at a higher education institution in New Zealand. The scholarship covers tuition, living costs, airfares and more.
- New Zealand Foreign Affairs and Trade Scholarships – Here various scholarships are available for students coming from various Pacific and South-East Asia countries. These scholarships programs cover tuition fees, and also fortnightly living allowance with other expenses.
- New Zealand International Doctoral Research Scholarships – these scholarships are for international students enrolled in a PhD program at a university in New Zealand. It provides a stipend covering full tuition fees and living expenses for a maximum of up to 3 years. It is awarded after considering academic excellence. It is one of the popular PhD scholarships in New Zealand for international students
- New Zealand commonwealth scholarships - This scholarship is provided at the Master’s and PhD level to study at the higher education institutions in New Zealand. The priority sectors in which the students can pursue studies under this scholarship programme include Climate Change and the Environment, Food Security and Agriculture, Disaster Risk Management, Governance, Renewable Energy. It is one of the popular scholarships in New Zealand for Indian students.
University-specific New Zealand Scholarships
- The University of Auckland International Student Excellence Scholarship - The University of Auckland provides a scholarship for new international undergraduate and postgraduate students. The applicant must be enrolled in a Postgraduate Diploma or Masters program of 120 points or more, or undergraduate degrees. Each scholarship is valued at up to $10,000, for postgraduate and undergraduate study.
- Lincoln University – International scholarships at Lincoln University are usually awarded based on academic ability or achievement. Some other factors also include personal qualities, financial need, where you live and the course of study that you choose. Most scholarships cover tuition fees and some may be used to cover accommodation and living costs. There are many scholarships for international students in New Zealand at Lincoln University.
- Massey University Scholarship – There are plenty of Scholarships open at Massey University for international students to complete higher education in New Zealand.
- Southern Institute of Technology – International students can also find scholarships at the Southern Institute of Technology to study in New Zealand.
- University of Auckland International Student Scholarships – There are several scholarships open for international students to study at the University of Auckland. These scholarships are available at all study levels.
- UC International First-Year Scholarships - This scholarship is offered at the University of Canterbury to the meritorious international students pursuing a bachelor degree at their University. The awardee can gain a help of $10,000, $15,000 or $20,000.
- University of Otago – The University of Otago International Master’s Award provides financial support to international students who are enrolled in a thesis-based Masters Degree at their campus. The scholarship includes NZ$15,000 stipend per year with a tuition fee waiver for 1 year.
- University of Waikato – The University of Waikato offers various scholarships to international students. The International Excellence Scholarship is offered based on academic merit and is open for international students for all study levels. The Michael Baldwin Memorial Scholarship is offered to the students hailing from the South Pacific region and is offered based on financial need.
Other New Zealand scholarships
- Tongarewa Scholarship at Victoria University of Wellington - This Tongarewa Scholarship is offered by Victoria University to international students. Awardees must act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and also participate in respective marketing programs. There are ten scholarships worth NZ$10,000 for Bachelors and Masters degrees. Additionally, nine scholarships amount to NZ$5,000 for only Masters degrees.
- AusIMM New Zealand Branch Education Endowment Trust Scholarships – This scholarship is offered to the students enrolled in a New Zealand university undertaking research in geology, engineering or the environment that is minerals industry related. Postgraduate scholarships of $5,000 and Undergraduate BSc(Hons) project scholarships of $2000 are offered.
- Barbara Wood Memorial Foundation – This Scholarship is offered for students coming from the South Pacific to study in New Zealand. Awards up to $1,000 per year is granted based on the need and cost of the course being undertaken.
- Go Overseas Study Abroad Scholarship – Only 5 scholarships are offered worth up to US$15,000 for undergraduate and postgraduate students coming from the US and Europe to study at an eligible university in New Zealand.
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand University Scholarships – This scholarship is open for international students, which includes an offer of employment at the Reserve Bank once they have gained their qualification. If the student does not accept this offer, they will need to repay the scholarship. This scholarship is provided only in the sectors of economics, finance or banking at honours, masters or PhD level. The candidate must be enrolled in a full-time study course.
- R. H. T. Bates Postgraduate Scholarship – A scholarship for an international student enrolled on a doctorate in physical sciences and engineering at any higher education institution in New Zealand.
We hope this information on Scholarships in New Zealand is helpful to you. If you find difficulty in the arrangement of funds for studying in New Zealand, you can apply for the scholarships. If you are successful in obtaining the scholarships your higher education abroad will become much cheaper.
- Surf Shark Privacy and Security Scholarship - The scholarship worth $2,000 are awarded to a student enrolled at a university in New Zealand for an undergraduate or graduate program. The scholarship is open to all nationalities. The applicant will need to submit an essay to apply.