International students make a huge positive impact on the social and cultural activities of Canada as well as generate more than $21 billion in economic activity of the country. Since the outbreak of a pandemic, Canada has made a number of temporary rules changes to help and encourage international students and learning institutions. These measures and the process to study in Canada in the academic Fall intake 2020 are discussed in detail in this article.
New measure taken by the Canadian Government
On the 14th of July, IRCC has announced several huge changes to support international students to pursue their education in Canada
. These measures include:
- To give priority to the study-visa processing for those students who have submitted a completed application online, to make sure that permits are processed as soon as possible.
- Canada will apply a temporary 2-stage approval process for those international students who will not be able to complete the study visa application for the coming fall intake and who wants to pursue programs through distance learning.
- It will also allow international students to count their time spent studying their Canadian program online being in another country, towards their eligibility for a post-graduation work permit, with the condition that they must complete their 50% program in Canada.
Temporary 2-stage visa approval process.
The study visa for Canada is a mandatory document for international students who want to study at a designated learning institution in Canada for a period of more than six months. For the temporary basis, the study visa rules are changes for fall intake which consists of 2-stage visa approval process which includes:
IRCC will provide an approval-in-principle for study visas if the foreign students clear the first stage, which includes:
- Presenting the letter of acceptance in the Canadian college or university.
- Giving evidence of having enough funds to support their education in Canada
- Presenting Certificat d’acceptation du Québec for those who are admitted in an educational institution in Quebec
- Showing that the candidate is a bona fide student who will not stay in Canada if they don’t have any legal temporary or permanent status after completion of the program.
- Family ties to Canada
In the second stage, the International students have to submit all remaining documents and get final approval to enter Canada to continue their studies. The final approval stage requires you to fulfil the following requirements:
- Immigration medical examination.
- Police verification.
By this process, international students can get admission and begin their studies this fall online, even when they are not able to submit all the required documentation due to lockdown or any other reasons.
Temporary 2-stage visa approval process eligibility.
After receiving the final approval for their study permit application, students will be able to move to Canada once the border restrictions of both countries are withdrawn. This is available to only those students:
- Starting an educational program of Canada in fall 2020
- who will be submitting a study visa application before September 15, 2020
Canadian post-graduation work permit
The eligibility of Post-graduation work permit (PGWP) will not be affected by international students whose courses for fall 2020 will be online due to the Coronavirus situation. It will allow students to count the time spent studying online in their home country towards their eligibility for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) if they have completed at least 50% of their programme in Canada. This means that international students will have the right to work in Canada after graduation, even if they need to begin their studies online from overseas in the coming fall.
Process to study in Canada in the Fall intake 2020
Here we have mentioned the Process to study in Canada in the Fall intake 2020 for international students:
Step 1: Apply for admission in universities in Canada
Step 2: Pay GIC and university tuition fees
Step 3:Get your Medical Done
Step 4:Apply for the study Visa in Principle for Canada
Step 5: Get Approval of the Visa in Principle application
Step 6:Study Online from your home country
Step 7:When VFS/ Travel Opens, Get Visa Stamped and fulfil other formalities.
Step 8: Get final approval of the study visa, then move to Canada for further studies.
These major changes will give international students more certainty to enter Canada once travel and health restrictions are lightened in Canada as well as in their own home countries. This means that the international students will have the right to work in Canada after graduation, even if they study the Canadian program online from overseas this fall. Those who fulfil the eligibility criteria to travel to Canada at this time must also have a plan to get quarantined for 14 days upon arrival in Canada. This is compulsory, even if they have perfect health.
While these temporary measures allow international students to begin a program online after receiving an approval-in-principle of a study permit application, it does not guarantee approval of a study permit application. A study permit could be denied based on inadmissibility for criminality or security concerns, as well as ongoing travel restrictions due to COVID-19.