Student visa to study abroad

Cost Of Study in Sweden

Accommodation in Sweden 

As an international student looking for housing, your first point of contact should always be your university. Most universities offer accommodation services for international students, which can include providing guaranteed housing or giving advice on where to find a room on your own. The exact offer will vary between universities. If you're not sure how to find the accommodation service at your university, check with your programme coordinator or international office. The availability of student accommodation also varies considerably from place to place. Usually, there is plenty of accommodation available in smaller and middle-sized cities or towns. Finding a room can be more challenging in larger cities, especially Stockholm and Gothenburg, and in the traditional student cities of Lund and Uppsala. You can choose to live in student accommodation or find a home on the private market.

Monthly rent costs vary considerably between locations. For a student room or a room in a flat, monthly rent ranges between roughly SEK 2,500 and SEK 6,500, with smaller towns at the lower end of the scale and Stockholm at the high end. On the private market, costs can be somewhat higher. The standard of the flat and what's included in the rent (furnishings, electricity and so on) can also affect monthly costs.

Cost of Living in Sweden 

Living costs in Sweden depend largely on your individual lifestyle. A sample monthly budget is as follows:

The eligible factors for getting national health insurance program are.

arrow Food: SEK 2,000
arrow Accommodation: SEK 3,750
arrow Local travel: SEK 560
arrow Local travel: SEK 560
arrow Telephone/internet: SEK 300
arrow Insurance, medical care and hygiene: SEK 300
arrow Hobby/leisure, miscellaneous: SEK 1,100
arrow Total: SEK 8,010

Remember that prices can vary considerably depending on where you live. Stockholm, for example, is more expensive than smaller towns. Dining out at restaurants can be somewhat expensive in Sweden, though student bars and restaurants often have discounted prices.

Lunch at a student restaurant on or around campus usually costs between SEK 55-70; at an average café or restaurant, about SEK 65-95. Dinner starts at around SEK 100-150, drinks not included. In most restaurants and bars, an inexpensive beer or glass of wine will cost about SEK 60; prices can be significantly lower at student unions or nations.

Please also note that when applying for a residence permit, you must prove to the Swedish Migration Agency that you will have a guaranteed sum of money at your disposal throughout the entire period of your studies. The amount, SEK 8,010 per month for ten months of the year, is set by the Migration Agency.

Cost of Living in Sweden 

Application and tuition fees apply for students who are not citizens of an EU/EEA/Nordic country or Switzerland and who apply for or enroll on studies at the bachelor's or master's level. Tuition fees vary between SEK 80,000–140,000 per academic year for most subjects. Programmes in certain fields may have notably higher fees. Students usually join the local student union and pay a membership fee, but this is not compulsory. Fees range from SEK 50-350 per semester, depending on the union. On average, expect to spend about SEK 750 per month on textbooks per semester. In some subjects, like law and natural sciences, this figure is likely to be higher. Many student unions organize book sales where students can buy used textbooks cheaply; it's also common for students to post notices on campus selling their used copies of previous years' textbooks.

Sweden Health Care System 

If your degree programme is longer than one year, you're entitled to the same health benefits as Swedes after registering with the Swedish Tax Agency in order to receive a personal identity number. Once you've received your number, you'll be entitled to all healthcare and pay Swedish patient fees. Do note that this doesn't cover your journey to Sweden or the time you spend in the country prior to receiving your personal identity number. To be fully covered for that period, you will need some form of insurance from your home country. You should also check with your university to find out if they provide any additional insurance coverage for international students.