How to Renew Your Titre De Sejour (Residence Permit in France)?
Residence Permits which can be renewed:
1. Long Stay Student Visa in France:The holders of the long stay student visa in France can renew their Residence permit in France before it expires, and it can be done via an application for the renewal at the “Prefecture”. Students can apply for the multi-annual residence permit in France. The application once approved will be valid for the remaining academic years of the program student is enrolled in. If you are enrolled in a bachelor’s degree, the application will be valid for two more years, as the course is for three years (one year with the old permit and two years validity after the renewal). If you are studying in a Grande Ecole, you can apply for the French residence permit until the diploma is received.
2. Multi Annual Residence Permit in France:If you are living in France with a Multi annual residence permit, you can apply for the renewal, too. The titre de sejour can also be applied at the end of the multi annual residence permit. The conditions of the renewal will be the same, and the validity after the renewal will be same as the
Length of the course student is enrolled in / will enroll.
How to Renew My Titre De Sejour?
Residence Permit at a Prefecture:The applicant who are willing to renew their residence permit in France, need not have to apply from their home country. They can apply for the renewal of the residence permit at a prefecture nearby them. It can be a prefecture close to they live or the one close to their institution.
Residence Permit without going to a Prefecture:There are some universities, approximately 24 to 26, that allow students a single window entry, called “guichet unique”, under which the students are not required to specifically go to a prefecture to apply for a renewal. They can renew their residence permit in France from the universities. You can find the universities and departments list here.
When to Apply?Ideally, you should apply for the renewal of French residence permit before 60 days. However, it is always advisable to check with the nearest prefecture as the deadlines vary from prefecture to prefecture. It is important to be aware of the deadlines of the renewal, as missing the deadline would mean an additional cost of 180 euros for visa renewal.
What is Needed?There are two major conditions to renew your residence permit in France. Here they are:
- The candidate must be enrolled into a French Higher Education Institute
- The candidate must have enough funds to sustain himself. (615 euros a month)
Other Documents Required:
- Passport and the French Residence Permit
- 3 Photographs
- Birth Certificate
- Future enrollment proof
- Academic Transcripts of previous years
- Proof of accommodation in France
- Valid Health Insurance
After the ApplicationOnce you apply for the renewal of the residence permit in France, the prefecture will issue a receipt of acknowledgement. Keep in mind that some prefectures do not issue a receipt, and some does. The receipt of acknowledgment is valid for 3 to 6 months after the previous residence permit expires. The other things to keep in mind are:
If you previously had Long Stay Student Visa in France (VSL-TS): You are eligible for the multi-annual residence permit in France once your application is evaluated. As we have mentioned, you will be provided with a provisional receipt of acknowledgement valid for 4 to 6 months. It is the time taken to evaluate your application and take the decision. If your VSL-TS long stay student visa has expired, and you have a provisional receipt of renewal of residence permit, you are not allowed to travel outside of France.
If you previously had multi-annual residence permit: you will be eligible for another multi-annual residence permit in France. The prefecture will take three month’s time to evaluate the application and reach the decision, and same would be the amount of time the receipt of acknowledgement would be valid for. In case of the renewal of multi-annual residence permit, the student can travel outside of France, and can return without applying for a separate visa.
It is important to remember that if you have applied for the renewal on time, that is two months before the previous residence permit expires, as long as the previous permit is valid, you can travel in and out of the country without any restrictions.